Saturday


To all my good friends ... here is Karla Too

KARLA TOO

This here is the story A thousand years old
Retold - Retold - Retold
A strumming of the bottom strokes
We’ll make her pitch and wail
Pick up the piece start over again
Again and again start over again
Pounding A-pounding O-pound in my head
Roll Over Roll Over don’t you play dead
Hear-ye Hear-ye Hear-ye-all
It was Paul It was Paul It was Paul

Come-a-come-a see yourself – Come to the court house
Come-a-come-a stand in line – spend a time
Come-a-come-a hear the crime – Come to the court house

For who shall I feel for K-K or Paul
For who shall I feel for whom
I put the question to the test
How many more before I confess
How many more How many more
It was really him I was under a spell
I’m not a witch you know
Remember this Remember this
Who gave Her the teddy bear
Remember this Remember this
I’m not a separatist

Come-a-come-a see yourself – Come to the court house
Come-a-come-a hear the deal – cold as steel
Come-a-come-a Karla Teal – Come to the court house

To have a big heart within a big brain
’Tis enough t’escape t’run in a way
Away from it all away from the fall
Away from the pleasure away from the pain
Away from a love away from a love
Away little girl dressed up in ’er clothes
Away from a love with nowhere to go
What shall I do What shall I do
I be bad – I be bad – I be bad

Come-a-come-a see yourself – Come to the court house
Come-a-come-a hear the lies – feel the cries
Come-a-come-a see the wails – Come to the court house

Now how shall I present my case
How should I wear my hair
A wounded soul without a trace
How shall I wear my face’n’care
He was cool It was Paul He was cruel
I’ll say A smashing good affair
I’ll tell the words I heard him say
I was only acting in a play
’Twas all his show ’Twas all his way
- I never opened my mouth -

Come-a-come-a see yourself – Come to the court house
Come-a-come-a see the trust – hear the lust
Come-a-come-a feel a’gust – Come to the court house

The war rages on it goes on it goes on
For some it will never end
Into the night into the night
Will mornin’ ever come t’ light
Fade to the black Fade to the bleak
Fade to the pawn Fade to the weak
Fade t’Goddamn does anybody hear
The beat of a heart wrapped in a soul
Found laying in peace cry under it all
I belong — I belong — I belong

Come-a-come-a see yourself
Come to the court house
Come-a-come-a see the fears
Feel the tears
Come-a-come-a hear the jeers
Come to the court house

This here is the story a thousand years old
How many more How many more
I’ll take you aback where it all begun
Retold — Retold — Retold

We stare into it. We run on our own!
Come this far, can’t never go home.
The shedding of the skin you see!
They came they saw
They gassed up for free
Act one Scene two Take three

.......END

Once Again Your Good Friend,
Tommy D____
Professor of Smozology


Coming To Your Local Theatre In September
“I Loves Ya’ Honey But You Sweat Like a Pig”




THE PREAMBLE

Dear Christie, I like your work. I’ll try not to bore you with mine. I am Tommy D____ Professor of Smozology. You may not remember me since we have never met. Our communication has always been one way. You to me. But let’s not talk of the past, let’s talk of the future me ... and you.

Wait!

A devilishly funny picture, in technicolour blue, creeps into mind. You’re standing and saying, right about now, “As far as I’m concerned, this is the end Tommy,” and now you’re scrunching me up and tossing me into your furnace tray. No recycling here. “You shall go no further with me, take yourself elsewhere.” Your words – not mine! I hate it when that happens.

My wish is for your daring, to tell the whole world what I say ... to you. Present me in a way.

I’ve enclosed a sampling of mine. All of it really. A short story. I think it’s a “Very Short Acting Story,” somewhat like a poem; acting ’cause it doesn’t qualify in the strictest sense, but is by today’s standards, say yours or mine - probably - a dandy poem.

I think it’s actually a tale with rhythm or perhaps a tune without a home. What say you give it a read. It’s called Karla Too. I present it as a letter to my good friends because, that is what it is.

Your Good Friend
Tommy D_____

PS; I saved you as “christ-sun”

August 1995